Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School was founded in 1920 and today is a leading school for girls, providing education from Grade 8 to Grade 12

GHS was founded in 1920 and the school was originally housed in the gracious old family mansion, Morningside, the home of Peter and Mary Davis. Education for women during this period was not common and the founders of the school were uncertain that there would be an interest or demand for such a thing.                 They, however, were proved wrong as the number of girls continued to grow and soon it was decided that a bigger and better school building was needed.


Designed after the style of Sir Herbert Baker, the new school building (which has been declared a National Monument) was opened in 1925 and today forms an integral part of the school despite the many additions that have taken place over the years.


Today our school is a leading high school providing education to over 1100 girls. The day scholar complement makes up the larger section of the school community, and weekly and termly boarding facilities are available to 220 girls from areas outside of Pietermaritzburg.